It's the season for celebrating... graduations, Mother's Day and Memorial Day! Memorial Day in the US officially kicks off Summer which means it's time to scrub the grill and pull out the outdoor cushions. Of course, in the Virgin Islands we live like it's summer all season long.
Hubby and I are home in Santa Barbara for a short time celebrating our middle daughter's college graduation. It's been such an exciting time for our family.
We celebrated in our usual style... with food! Hubby and I hosted a party for her with about 20 people and what better way to feed a lot of people than a backyard barbecue?!
Hubby grilled Cajun Spiced Chicken. I made my Cucumber Melon Salad, Twice-Baked Potatoes with Rosemary and Feta, Corn on the Cob, Herbed Garlic Bread, and Orange Infused Pound Cake with Orange Glaze, Fresh Berries, and Coconut Whipped Cream for desert.
Now... let's talk about the appetizer!
This Hot Jalapeño Artichoke Dip is a perfect start to a barbecue meal. It also works well to feed a large group or take with you to a potluck. Believe me, you will be the hit of the party with this yummy dish. Even my gluten free daughter can indulge in this one. This appetizer can be made ahead of time. Just make sure you serve it hot and bubbly.
I've adapted this popular recipe and made it my own. I'm not a big fan of mayonnaise so I use mostly sour cream. You could use all mayonnaise if you choose. I like the combination of jack and parmesan cheese but you could omit the parmesan. Pepper jack works well in this recipe as well. If you want to kick it up a notch, add a couple drops of hot sauce of your choice. Serve this with French bread, tortilla chips, crackers, pita chips and/or cut vegetables. I love serving this with homemade pita chips.
For all of you that have requested this recipe... finally, here it is!
Hot Jalapeño Artichoke Dip
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 8 oz block Cream Cheese, softened
- 3/4 C Sour Cream
- 1/4 C Mayonnaise
- 1 C Jack Cheese or Pepper Jack, grated
- 1/4 C Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 3 Scallions, chopped
- 1/4 C fresh Jalapeños, finely chopped (use less if you prefer)
- 3 to 5 Jalapeño rings, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 - 4 oz can of Diced Ortega Chilies
- 1 - 14 oz can of Artichoke Hearts in water, drained and chopped
- Hot Sauce to taste, optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together softened Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Mayonnaise and 3/4 C Jack Cheese.
- Add Scallions, Jalapeños, Chilies and Artichoke Hearts to the above mixture.
- Put in baking dish of your choice.
- Top with remaining 1/4 C Jack Cheese and Parmesan Cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Garnish with Jalapeño rings.
- Serve hot with French Bread, Tortilla Chips, Crackers, Pita Chips and/or cut Veggies.