My creamy desert kick continues with Lime Mousse!
This is probably one of my top requested recipes. It's fluffy, light and refreshing. The zesty lime and whipped cream make an awesome pairing of deliciousness. You just can't go wrong with this desert.
You can make this Mousse with Key limes which are fruitier and sweeter than the Persian limes. The Key limes are much smaller so it does entail a bit more squeezing. I've also made this Mousse with lemons. It just depends what you're in the mood for or what meal you're pairing this with.
You can't see them in the photo, but I like to add crumbled meringue cookies for a little surprise crunch on the bottom. Of course you can leave them out altogether, but personally I think the crunchiness on the bottom just finishes this desert off beautifully.
This is another simple recipe with just four staple items. It just takes a little planning so you have enough time for proper chilling.
I would not recommend using bottled lime juice.. it's just not the same. Plus, you'll want to use lime zest and the peel from the fresh limes for garnish.
Recipe Type: Desert
- 4 large Eggs
- 2/3 C Sugar
- 2/3 C fresh Lime Juice
- 1 C Heavy Cream, well chilled
- 4 Meringue Cookies, optional
- Stir together Eggs, Sugar and Lime Juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat with a wooden spoon until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium and continue to cook stirring constantly until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, pressing with a flexible spatula into a metal bowl.
- Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap, pressing it directly on the surface of the mixture.
- Refrigerate until well chilled at least 40 to 45 minutes.
- Whisk Heavy Cream in a metal bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold Cream into Lime mixture with a flexible spatula.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
- Before spooning into desert cups or glasses, crumble a Meringue cookie in the bottom.
- Garnish with Lime Zest, Peel and Lime Slice, if desired.