Who doesn't like pancakes? When I plan a charter, my menus for the week are never the same and vary a lot according to diet restrictions and personal likes. I try to get a feel from the guests preference sheet and personalize their menus the best I can. Assuming someone isn't gluten intolerant, these pancakes are almost always on my menus for the week. After all, who doesn't like pancakes? It's one of those comfort foods that just remind you of home. If someone has a dairy intolerance you can easily leave out the ricotta cheese, but the ricotta is what really makes these pancakes light and fluffy.
It's all about the guests when we're on charter. When I plate for them, I try and hold back a little food for ourselves, but believe me, it's usually a little. Hubby loves these pancakes. He's lucky if I'm able to save out one or two. He certainly never gets a generous plate full.
It's been a crazy busy season for us, and now we have a couple of days off before our last charter... woohoo! I decided Hubby was very deserving of a big healthy serving of my pancakes. After all, I've deprived him all season!
What better place to eat yummy pancakes than in the beautiful North Sound area which has been our "home away from home" for the past six seasons. When we have the time off, this is where we like to go. We can relax a little and still get our boat projects done.
Sailing into the North Sound I aways have this feeling of aaahhhh... home!
The North Sound is on the Northern edge of Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands. It's a large bay that is protected by reefs and surrounding islands. I just love the variety in the Sound with several anchorages, beaches, water sports galore, hikes and restaurants.
It's become a world class kiteboarding area as well.
Bitter End Yacht Club and Resort, YCCS Yacht Club, Biras Creek Resort, Oil Nut Bay, Saba Rock and Leverick Bay are all located in the North Sound.
The private islands of Necker, Moskito and Eustatia are nearby. It's just been an amazing little community for us.
What makes this recipe special is the Blueberry Sauce. You could also make the same sauce with any berry of your choice. I personally love the combination of lemon and blueberry. It's always nice to use fresh berries but if you don't have them go ahead and use frozen. I've done it both ways and there really isn't that much of a difference. If you have any extra, which I highly doubt, this sauce would be tasty over waffles, ice cream, cakes, you name it.
Hubby was very happy with his stack of pancakes and what better place to eat them than our "home away from home"!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Recipe Type: Breakfast
- 1 C Ricotta Cheese
- 1 C Milk
- 3 Eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1/4 C Sugar
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 C Flour
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a large bowl whisk together the Ricotta, Milk, Egg Yolks, Sugar, Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice until smooth.
- Sift the Flour, Baking Powder and half the Salt into the same bowl with the Ricotta mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- In a separate bowl, beat the Egg Whites with a wire whisk or hand mixer until they become frothy.
- Add the remaining Salt and continue to beat the Egg Whites until soft peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula fold in a third of the Egg Whites into the Ricotta Flour mixture then gently fold in the remaining Egg Whites.
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Melt a little Butter on it.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle for each Pancake.
- Allow the Pancakes to cook until bubbles begin to form on the top of the Pancakes and they begin to turn golden brown underneath.
- Flip the Pancakes over and cook through.
- Transfer to warm plate or platter and repeat with the remaining batter.
Recipe Type: Sauce
- 2 C fresh or frozen Blueberries
- 5 T Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon, zested
- 1/2 C plus 1 T Water
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 T Cornstarch
- Combine the Blueberries, Sugar, Lemon Zest and 1/2 cup of Water in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Stir to dissolve the Sugar and bring the Berries to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl stir together the Cornstarch, remaining tablespoon of Water and Lemon Juice.
- Add the Cornstarch mixture to the Berries and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve the Bueberry Sauce over the Pancakes while still warm.