Do you still have holiday parties to attend? If so, I have the perfect appetizer for you to make. I've made this several times as a small plate for charters and most recently on Green Flash for our Santa Barbara Harbor Parade of Lights party. We decided to participate last minute. Spontaneity, or maybe it's just called procrastination, seems to work well for us.
With the help of our kids and a friend who lent us all the lights we were able to pull it together.
It was a spectacular evening! Some of the guys stayed in t-shirts all night. Believe it or not, this time of year is my favorite time to be on the ocean in Santa Barbara. The sun goes down over the water and just makes for the most amazing sunsets.
The fireworks were beautiful. There is nothing like viewing them from the water. It was such a fun way to kick off the holiday season with about 23 friends and family. And... we won third place! Maybe procrastination really does pay off.
Now on to the tasty stuff. Last weekend I put on a really fun tapas holiday party for my friend for about 25 people.
People love to eat little nibbles of lots of things. We had small plates coming out all night. It's just such a social way to eat and mingle around a big tapas table. I have so many yummy small plates recipes I want to share. For now, I will share this one with you. I think it is just so beautiful for this time of year.
There are some shortcuts that will definitely save you some time. This holiday season when we are all so busy, I would recommend buying your ricotta instead of making it. It's not that it's hard to make. If you can save the time, why not? Also, no need to buy a whole pomegranate and hassle with the mess. You can buy the arils and save yourself a lot of trouble.
This beautiful salsa would be tasty on anything. I personally like it on flatbread. If you want it gluten free top it on sliced pears or apples.
Ricotta Flatbread with Pomegranate Salsa
Recipe Type: Appetizer
Serves: Approx. 4 to 6
- ½ C Pomegranate Seeds
- ½ C Dried Cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 T Honey
- 2 tsp Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1 T Orange zest strips
- Pinch salt
- 1 Oval pre-baked Flatbread, such as Naan or Pocketless Pita
- 8 oz Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- ½ C Baby Arugula
- Place baking stone or sheet pan in oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Pomegranate Seeds, Cranberries, Shallot, Oil, Vinegar, Honey, Parsley, Orange Zest and Salt in a bowl. Place Flatbread on a preheated grill rack or baking stone in a 450-degree oven. Toast until warm and edges are lightly toasted, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon Ricotta over warm Flatbread and spread lightly. Arrange Arugula over Ricotta. Cut into serving pieces.
- Top each slice with Salsa and a little more Arugula.