Phewww... I did it! Ten days (49 meals) of only some fish protein (no shellfish or other meats) and no dairy. It was definitely a challenge keeping the meals varied, tasty and fresh. It feels good to have conquered it. They say you always grow and learn from your challenges and I must say this was one of those times. I have come up with some new ideas even for non-restrictive diets. I wish I could share all of them with you.
We were moored at beautiful Biras Creek in the North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
My guests went on a late morning walk so I was able to take pictures of this salad I served them for lunch.
Quinoa is a great protein option. In fact, it's one of the most protein rich foods you can eat. It has tons of fiber and is just full of nutrition too. I will be making it again soon for my gluten free daughter.
If you don't have Quinoa, this salad can be made with any other grain like Spelt, Farro or Barley.
Roasted Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad
Recipe Type: Salad
- 4 C Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1 tsp Salt, divided
- 1 C uncooked White Quinoa, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 Lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 C Scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C Parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 C Sliced Almonds, toasted
- 4 oz Goat Cheese, crumbled
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spread Almond slices on baking sheet and toast in oven for 6 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While Almonds are toasting, toss Butternut Squash cubes to coat with half of the Olive Oil (2 tablespoons), half of the salt (1/2 teaspoon) and half of the Pepper (1/4 teaspoon). Spread out on the same foil-lined baking sheet you used to toast the Almonds and roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- In a large bowl, toss cooked Quinoa with roasted Butternut Squash, Scallions, Parsley, toasted Almonds and Goat Cheese.
- Toss with Lemon Juice and Zest plus the remaining Olive Oil (2 Tablespoons), Salt (1/2 teaspoon), and Pepper (1/4 teaspoon).
- Adjust seasoning according to your taste. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Hope you enjoy this hearty and yummy salad!